Wednesday, July 2, 2008

An audio launch enjoyed by Superstar's friends – Spot report of Kuselan audio launch

Pre-note1: Pics attached in this post are hi-res pics. You can ZOOM them by clicking.

Pre-note 2: For those who had already seen Superstar’s speech in channels and youtube for umpteen times, I have marked the starting of speech text and ending of speech text in this post separately. You can skip that part alone if you don't wish to read again in this bigggg article.

Friends, by this time most of you would have come to know about the speech of the participants and other details of the event. So, I try to present you the uncovered areas of the event – behind the scenes and actual happenings apart from function related moments.

As I needed to take simultaneously both the photos and also take notes, I might have missed some happenings and details.

Fanfare and frenzy

The much-expected Kuselan audio launch event passes of successfully with much fanfare and frenzy.

The moment itself – when it was decided to hold such a extravagant launch – the furore started generating and I was waiting with bated breathe for the event.

When I saw the invitation without any programme details or names of participant me and many of my media friends decided that Superstar won’t participate in this and added to that I heard the AR Rahman will be Chief Guest. I asked myself when there’s Superstar why Rahman? Because stalwarts like Rahman is not necessary as the presence of Superstar himself is more than enough to grab the attention. So, till the last moment I was skeptical about Superstar’s presence in the event.

One hour before, that is by 6.00 pm itself I was present at the venue – Hotel Lé Royal Meridien.

Partipants were arriving one by one in two wheelers and cars. The production team including Pushpa Kandasamy, Kandasamy and director P Vasu were already at the venue looking after the arrangements.

I could see some live-telecast vehicles of some channels in the lawn. And that scene itself was more than enough to announce the importance of the event. Moreover, two giant standees of Superstar welcomed the participants at the entrance of the steps. The texts read the “Grand Audio Launch of Superstar’s Kuselan”

Fans strive to get inside the hall

While I was entering the exact venue of the event, located in basement of the hotel I saw many fans eagerly waiting outside the steps to catch any known persons to get inside the hall as the entry was restricted to only those who have the invitation card.

Once you get inside the basement through steps – a big hall welcomes you which serves as a reception hall. That time itself the hall was jam packed with the participants and I could see tv channels and websites were recording bites from those who were related to the Kuselan movie any way. While I was entering it was Seven Arts Vijayakumar who givng bites to a channel on the back drop of a Superstar image. (Check previous image gallery for this image)

It is Superstar, Superstar, Superstar everywhere

Wherever I see there, I could spot a backdrop of a Superstar’s image or banner. I never saw in any Superstar related events or functions such a costly arrangement.

Snacks were ready to be served in buffet for the partipants. I thought myself – how this could be sufficient for such a huge crowd? (later I came to know that the buffet was finished even before the event started at 7.00 pm and nothing was left for many participants)

Madras 2 – Housefull

Now I entered into the ‘Madras 2’ hall where the exact event was about the kickstart. Oh…God, the hall was already FULL. The hall’s capacity was about 600. But that time itself it was occupied by more than 1000 persons.

The moment I entered inside the hall, I looked for my media friends and I could see some of them already there and then only I had a small relief.

Stylish and grand arrangements

I was astonished to see the arrangements in the hall. Such a stylish and lavish arrangements which we have never seen in any of our functions. The stage was beautifully decorated with Superstar’s images in back drop. Such a huge and lengthy backdrop. The images chosen in the back drop were so nice and stunning. (Check the photograph in previous post)

Participants one by one started arriving. When some VIPs like Arjun came there, I could see a flutter.

I moved to the place allotted for media persons with some hesitation. Press photographers started taking the photos and I was just looking with no help. I was tempted to click some snaps but was afraid and didn't because of fear of battery drain in my camera. I was simply watching as I wanted to click the photos only after Superstar’s arrival and happenings around him.

Get inside at any cost

As many managed to get inside the hall with influence, recommendation, and short cuts etc the hall which had a capacity of just around 1000 was now occupied by more than 2000 persons. Media people alone would come to nearly 400 persons in that hall. (I haven’t seen such a media frenzy in any event so far next to Kuselan launch held at AVM)

By 6.50 pm Superstar’s consort Latha Rajinikanth arrived. And there was a thallumullu among photographers to take snaps. I was just blinking. Later Dhanush with Aishwarya arrived. Now everybody understood that Superstar would be coming next and I could read the reactions now itself : Yaanai varum pinnae; maniyosai varum munnae!

I was making my camera ready.

I could see lots of camera flashes and frenzy and furore in the main hall and I understood that thalaivar is coming.

Superstar enters….

Superstar entered the function hall like a lightning and those who accompanied him like Good Luck Kalayanam and PRO Diamond Babu couldn’t match his speedy walk and were trailing behind him. The moment Superstar entered the hall, everybody gave him a standing ovation. It took minutes for the claps to settle down. And after greeting and wishing the audiences and other participants with his traditional “Vanakkam” with both of his hands, he settled in a chair in the diaz. I was stunned and spell bound again and simply watching him.

Queen bee surrounded again

Like queen bee surrounded by other bees, he was surrounded by all the media persons and photographers and nobody in the hall who were sitting able to see him or have his darshan. He was completely drowned media flood and ocean of flash lights. I somehow managed to take few snaps raising and holding my camera above my head.

Later they requested in mike the photographers to settle down as it disrupts the entire schedule.

After Kadavul Vaazhthu – Bharthiar’s Manadhil urudhi Vaendum song was sung by Binni Krishna Kumar (Ra Ra fame singer) and the event kicked off.

Mesmerised by thalaivar’s look

I was just looking Superstar and Superstar alone and his small small mannerisms and mesmerized by that while other photographers were continuously clicking him without any tiredness. (I wonder what they would click continuously on Superstar in the same angle….)

Now I straight away switch over to Superstar’s speech and after that I just present highlights. (This write-up goes on extending like Hanuman tail without end and I have to go to Richie street for audio sales coverage and then to office – today I will be working for whole night in graveyard shift to compensate the time I swallowed for the two days)

'Krishna statue' to the Krishna character of the real life

Kavithalaya team presented Superstar a beutiful Silver Krishna memento to Superstar. As press photographers hid everybody in the stage, though it was relayed in big screen, many from the audience section could notice what the memento and they were in dark about that.

Herewith I try to present Superstar’s speech in full version without any cuttings.

After some rambams by some participants (iyooee sami kodumaiyilum kodumai to hear a person’s speech – guess who it must be?)

The moment when the comperer announced that Superstar would speak, it took really a few minutes for the crowd to settle down with the claps and whistles.

I started taking notes and at the same time clicking photographs. But I couldn’t click any as I was pushed outside from the press group as there was a heavy rush that time.

Superstar donates Rs.15 lakhs

Before Rajini sir started his speech, P Vasu intruded and said in mike that Superstar has donated Rs. 15 lakhs from his salary for technicians of the film amidst thunderous and non stop claps.

After that Superstar started his speech.

- Speech starts -

“Ennai vaazha vaittha deivangalana…..”

“Dear my Guru KB Sir, Pyramid Saminathan, Big Music team, Bharathiraja, Bharathiraja, Rahman and other important dignitaries and thaikulams, and ennai vaazha vaiththa deivangalana Tamizhaga makkalae, press friends and others my heartiest greetinfs to all.

Here KB sir spoke about me. It really….(he tried to say that it embarrassed him) but didn’t completed the sentence)

Ram Bai and Ranoji Rao were parents of Sivaji Rao alone. But for Rajini it is only KB sir, who is my father, mother, guru and all. (Claps) All fame goes to him only.

Already many spoke about this film here. And they predicted that it will be a silver jubilee film and a smash hit. But I feel tensed after hearing that. I am in tension more than Sai mira after hearing all these predictions. (who bought the film). (the audiences burst into laughter). But I am facing these predictions with positive thoughts. Good, it is good, it has shaped out nice. It is going to succeed and we are marching towards victory because of all of your aashirwad (pointing his hands towards the audience) and God’s grace. I also pray that the film should become superhit with God’s grace.

Actually I was about to do this film only for KB sir. But Seven Arts Vijayakumar told me that he wanted to produce this movie. Not for money. He told me that he is already a owner of a big banner. Just he said that he wishes to work with me. “You won’t give call sheet just for sake of helping. You would give indeed if only there’s good story. We just want to work with you. Not for monetary reasons alone we are willing to produce. Just want to work with you for a film” I was touched by his approach and decided to include in the film. (He is passing some message to somebody!)

I already committed to KB sir for film. He never asks me to give call sheet for his production house. Though he was in tougher times he never insisted that. Meanwhile I started acting movies like Chandramukhi and Sivaji for outside companies. This time KB sir asked me to do a movie for him. I told him that definitely I’ll do a film for Kavithalaya. “Sir, I have already done a biggie like Sivaji. So the next film should be more than Sivaji in all aspects.” But KB sir said, I should concentrate on small films too and going only for big budget movies is not a good sign. I said ok and after a few days I came back to him said to him that, “Sir periya malaiyai thooki kanbichitoem. How people would accept if if just life a kadapaarai (crowbar)?” (crowd bursts into laughter.) I have been lifting just small stones. But you people made me to lift huge mountain. Will they accept if I just move a small crow bar? I feel that I am trapped. You have pushed me in a trap. Ha..ha..ha.. Baasha, Muthu, Chandramukhi, Sivaji – all these movies raised expectation on me and my movies.

When I came across this subject I decided to do this for KB sir. And I told this and Seven Arts Vijayakumar and he happily agreed to co-produce this. And it was decided to produce this movie in Telugu too. There I know Mr.Ashwini Dutt for decades and decided to rope in as Telugu producer and thus the project started.

Three persons. All were millinaires. If money is there, people should not be there. If people is there money should not be there. (Janakattu irukura idathula panakattu irukkakoodathu. Panakkattu irukira idathula janakattu irukka koodathu) If all are there there will be politics. But understanding…yes the understanding between these three producers was awesome. All were stalwarts. Just imagine how much confusions would be there in each aspect budget, promotion, sales etc. But the three managed beautifully with pure understanding.

Mr.Aswini Dutt, Vyjayanthi Pictures was a very good producer. If say I want Sri Lanka, Colombo here in the set immediately, he would go for it. After a few minutes, he would come back and say, “Sir, sorry sir. LTTE is there. It is little bit difficult. But I will try sir.” (Crowd burst into laughter). I am telling this not for sake. Really he makes sincere efforts to ensure the shoot goes smoothly without any hindrance.

And Mr.Vijayakumar – he takes care of accounts and everything should be accountable for him.

And Pushpa Kandasamy – she’s a wonderful woman. KB sir has told her just to take care of me and ensure my happiness and happiness alone during the course of shooting. They looked after me like a kid. If I look more young and youth it is because of their love and affection towards me.

Wish to speak more. But – I will speak during the success celebrations. Let the film come out first and become hit by God’s grace and your good will. After that I shall speak more.

Since this is an audio launch I wish to speak about the music and music director. When we decided to make this movie, we were thinking about the music director. I thought how would be it if Ilaayaraja scores music for this film? Because it’s a different subject. Look how time works. While I was thinking about the Music director, I happened to hear Veyyil songs. Though I had seen the movie already when it released, I liked the songs when I heard it that day again. I was amazed by the music. So, I called Shankar and asked about the person whom donned music. He said, he’s an excellent music director with bundle of talents. Also added that he has all positive points of Rahman. (the crowd laughs) Negative points……..? We have to ask Shankar alone. Ya…just one thing. He works in night. Suddenly asks to come 3.00 am 4.00 am. That only I can tell. Nothing more than that.

One day during the shoot of Kuselan in Hyderabad, a boy was staring at me continuously in the sets and I was disturbed by it. I thought that he was waiting to take a snap with me. So, I asked assistants to arrange for that. But even after taking photograph he was there without moving. I got anger and asked assistants. And then only I knew he is GV Prakash the music director of the film. Oh..God…Unbeleivable.

He has been given lot of freedom in donning the music and he has done a wonderful job in songs. He is a mixture of Rahman and Ilayaraja. A bright future awaiting him.

And I thank all technicians involved in this film. Especially P Vasu sir. Without him this project would be impossible. He not only worked as director of this film but as PRO, Production manager and assistant.

I will speak more on the success celebrations.

You have seen the promos and posters. Many are exclaiming about my youth look in the film. Nothing because of me. It’s God’s gift. Some of you would have thought Is Rajini going and eating some rare herbs in Himalayas? Nothing….i just avoid taking a few white items. Sugar, Salt, Rice and tablets. If you avoid these items you too will look youthful always. And also, milk, curd and ghee. These all are for body. Body is a machine. Doesn’t it need lubrication? Yes….the lubrication is nothing than positive thoughts.

Develop and cultivate positive thoughts within you. You always look young. “I am doing well. I will be doing well. Only good things happen to me and people around me” Just breathe the above sentence and you will be good always. (Continuous claps and whistles)

- Speech ends -

Finally we got some message in his conclusion. Is n’t it?

Never self-proclaiming and remained very humble throughout the event

In the whole event, Superstar didn’t challenge anybody in success nor gave premature talk about success. He said by God’s grace if the film become success, if the film becomes hit etc. Each time he spoke about the film’s success he added the words “by God’s grace”

Surprise….Superstar’s friends enjoy the event

Superstar’s good old friends including Vittal, Murali Prasad, Nataraj and others too participated in the event and they were sitting in one of the rows at rear. They were giving cat calls, shouting and applauding during the event. At one stage one of them shouted “thalaivaaaaaaaaaaaaa” as an emotional outburst. Only when Murali Prasad went to the stage to receive the CD from Superstar, everybody noticed the group there in the row. Until then nobody noticed them since all were busy looking at the function stage and speeches on Superstar alone. Nataraj, one of them (Remember Solomon in Gurusishyan?) get little bit tensed when somebody stood before them and hid the stage and proceedings. He shouted “Hello…yaaru anga…maraikaatheenga please…. Yovv maraikadhaiyya…nagaru” etc.,

In the very first picture of this blog it is Murali Prasad who is receiving CD from Superstar. He is the one who is looking after Superstar's appointment and other activities in Raghavendra Mandapam. (More details about his friendship with Superstar will be covered in a separate post later)

You may ask why these friends were made to sit in last row? Shouldn’t they be seated in front row with prominence? Right?

You should keep in mind that the function is Kuselan audio launch event. If these friends were made sit in front row, each and everybody’s attention would be with them and it may embarrass others. And moreover, these friends always prefer to stay away from limelight and would like to be with thousands of audiences always. They always prefer to watch the show along with audience’s reaction for Superstar rather than hands and mouths tied front row occupants.

AR Rahman surprises with his extended presence at the event

AR Rahman's visit was surprise since AR Rahman rarely attends such events. He was not there even for Sivaji 200 days function where he donned the music. Moreover even if he attends, he will be there at that event only for a few minutes and vanishes. But this time, he was there nearly for 2 hours.


Highlights:

  • The hall’s capacity was 1000. But the people inside were more than 2000.
  • Multiple entries were performed by our fans with single invitation in the hand by getting out from rear side and again coming from front side with some of their friends.
  • Some press people were ill treated by the organizers and it was a sad moment.
  • Total journos and photographers alone mounted to 300. (a largest in recent times)
  • No Jackie Chan, No Chief Minister, No regional Superstars, No sex bomb like Mallika Sherawat and finally no a big stadium like Nehru Indoor Stadium. Despite this the programme was a grand success. (except a few unwanted happenings)
  • The buffet (snacks) was taken over by the initial crowd and nothing was left for others.
  • Vadivelu came late. But he took ashirwad from Superstar by touching his feet. He also said that Superstar should be idolized and worshipped in temple for his generosity. (a thunderous claps for that)
  • Bharathiraja’s visit was a surprise. And it created tension for some of the persons who were inside the hall (including myself). But he spoke well. He said that Rajini is more a good human being than a Superstar.
  • Our good friend Pyramid Saminathan said that, “Cheating has become common in cinema industry and many spend their livelihood in destroying others. But Rajini is harmless and pure in thoughts. So like his heart his films are also having huge success.” Idhu eppadi irukku?
  • K Balachander went to the extreme by saying, “He is my Arunachala, Annamalai and Sri Raghavendra. Thought Ramakrishna Paramahamsa was the guru of Swami Vivekananda, the latter became world famous. His guru was spiritual guru of India. But Vivekananda was a spiritual guru for entire world. Like wise me and Rajini. I became famous by introducing him.” (Superstar refuted this in his own style in his speech and declined his statements)
  • P Vasu said that there’s scene similar to Annamalai was shot in Kuselan. And people would wonder whether this Rajini is youthful or that Rajini is youthful. I have presented a Rajini more youthful than his Annamalai days. He also revealed that Superstar saw the movie and said that the film would run for 25 weeks. Also he said that in Chandramukhi, Superstar said that he would sprang up like a horse. But in Kuselan he is a deer. (Deer is meant for speed and energetic)
  • Vasu added that instead of earning 10 lakhs per day it would be wise to earn a good friend a day. He also said that we can’t share each and every thoughts or sorrows or troubles to our parents or our life partner. But we can everything with a good friend.
  • Jegapathy Babu said that even in Telugu he never had such a grand reception and honour and also addressed the gathering that he wishes to work with Superstar again. (he said a quote in telugu similar to that of T Rajendar’s. But I couldn’t recollect it)
  • Big Music team was awestruck to see the crowd and their frenzy. This is new to them. Big Music CEO Kulmeet Makkar said that they have worked with lots of Hindi movies and they have never seen such a crowd for an audio launch in Bollywood too.
  • Photographers almost hide everybody in the stage from others view and TV persons and cameramen couldn’t shoot anything properly. (This must be the reason for Raj TVs sodhappal telecast yesterday)
  • While the programme was going on yesterday many FM channels including Hello and Aaha aired it in LIVE and many enjoyed Superstar’s speech.
  • Many of the VIPs were not allowed inside since they had no invite card.
  • One person who was standing near me, commented some abusive about Superstar’s look and I immediately asked him to repeat and also enquired him who is he and where’s he coming from? He got afraid and immediately vanished. Since I was concentrating on the function I don’t want to waste time with him.
  • We could see a sigh of relief and happiness in the faces of those involved in the production of the film.
  • A few whispered that Superstar has saw the final version and the movie has shaped out extremely well.
  • Lots of VVIPs were abandoned yesterday and there were nobody to take care of them. Everybody’s attention was with Superstar only. And I crossed many VIPs just like that without even looking at them.
  • When Dhanush and Aishwarya came photographers rushed to click the couple and it lasted for a few minutes.
  • Soundharya Rajini who followed them seated along with here mom Latha Rajini.
  • Bharathiraja was offered a seat in second row. But Superstar immediately asked to bring a chair and made him to sit in front row. (That is Superstar – Super human being!. Likewise while AR Rahman entering, he stood up and received the maestro. AR Rahman gave a short speech and blessed GV Prakash. (Rahman was in very relaxed mood!)
  • Wherever we see, we could see an image of Superstar in the form of a banner, festoons or standees. A cozy arrangements.
  • The hall was fully air conditioned with beautiful lightings and decorations.
  • Superstar immediately announced his amount in donation for technicians in the venue itself. (reminded me that good things and charity should never be postponed)

  • A one minute song from Cinema Cinema and Zarere was telecasted with image backdrop changing.
  • While Bharathiraja speaking, (I don’t know how many of you saw it in television or in photos) it was nice to see the backdrop image of Superstar with crossed legs behind him which conveyed me some other meaning. (Will post the photograph later)
  • Pasupathy, Meena and Nayantarar were conspicuous by their absence. Many reasons floated around for their absence. (busy in shooting, disappointed because of they were sidelined etc)
  • KB really turned emotional while speaking and placed Rajini beyond parallels without any egoistic thoughts. One of the best speech of KB on Rajini. (Will present it in separate post)
  • Many employees and Le Royal Meridien too joined the audience and they were blocking the side entrance and also space near diaz. The staff included many girls and females too and everybody was eager to have a look of Superstar. They were asking each other whether they saw thalaivar at a close look. At one extent, all staff members of the hotel turned there and finally the hotel Manager had to rush the hall and dispose them back to their duty. They vacated the place half heartedly.
  • We could term this as a one of the best speeches of Superstar in film events. Packed with all EXPECTED ingredients.
  • Video coverage by some channels turned total impossible since the journos crowd hide the diaz from cameras.
  • When Supestar finished his speech, I was rushing towards him to take an autograph. But the next moment he vanished and many wondered where he could have gone all of a sudden.
  • The exit of Le Royal Meridien and GST Road get caught in a heavy traffic and it took hours to restore normalcy.

Note:

1) Audio sales report is on the way...
I have some backlogs already in my kitty as this post took two days for me to complete. Stay tuned for audio sales report with photographs...

2) The real help
If you enjoyed this article and liked it kindly circulate this article along with the following URL to your friends and circle through forwardings. This is the real help you are doing to me rather than posting comments of appreciation and happiness.
http://onlysuperstar.blogspot.com/2008/07/thalaivaaaaaaaaaaa-raj-bahadurs-exclaim.html

Let others too enjoy (if it so) as you did....

- Always,
Simple Sundar